I hope everyone is having a better week than I am…Work is crazy, I have 100000 things to do before I leave town on Saturday, and nothing is going the way I planned. But the good news is there are cookies. Cookies that you can keep a roll of dough pre-made in the freezer to pull out when you need just a few as a pick me up at the end of a long day. Also, the dough is quite delicious (Justin asked if I really had to bake the cookies) and because it doesn’t include any eggs there is no reason to be concerned about eating it raw. The beauty of shortbread my friends. So, let’s talk about these chocolate cranberry pistachio shortbread cookies…
The delicate, crumbly texture pairs perfectly with the crunchy pistachios and chewy cranberries. The dough comes together in minutes…This really couldn’t be an easier cookie. I loved them just they way they were, but you could always add a drizzle of white chocolate. Or even dip half of the cookie in white chocolate if you really want to go for it.
This shortbread will keep in an airtight container for up to two weeks! (Maybe longer but you probably won’t have any left at that point…) It’s long shelf life makes it a great option for a homemade gift for the holidays.
This recipe is part of the virtual cookie exchange that I am organizing. Keep an eye out for all the recipes in the exchange later this week! (Two posts in one week?!? I know, I can hardly contain my excitement either!)
If you make these chocolate cranberry pistachio shortbread cookies or any of my other recipes, please let me know in the comments below and share a photo on instagram or twitter. If you don’t want to miss a single recipe subscribe to this blog and you will get an email every time there is a new post.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup toasted pistachios
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- Whisk flour, cocoa, and salt together, set aside
- Cream butter, sugar, and vanilla together until fluffy
- Stir in the flour mixture
- Fold in the cranberries and pistachios
- Tear off a 18 inch piece of parchment and place it on a flat surface
- Turn the dough onto the parchment and shape it into a 12 inch log. Roll the parchment up around the log and twists the end in opposite directions, like a hard candy
- Chill in the freezer until firm
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC)
- Slice the cookies ¼th of an inch thick with a sharp knife
- Place the cookies 1 inch apart on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for about 10 minutes